What is the Clay Center hoping to accomplish?
- To improve the quality and diversity of ceramic art facilities available to the general public.
- To improve the quality and diversity of community-oriented ceramic art classes and workshops available locally.
- To significantly increase the amount of quality contemporary ceramic artwork being exhibited in New Orleans.
- To draw new ceramic talent to the city from other parts of the country.
- To connect the local ceramic art community to the larger national ceramic art community.
- To provide greater physical and financial accessibility to ceramic art opportunities.
- To create an economically and socially diverse community based around the joy and challenge of creating in clay.
- To create professional opportunities for local and national ceramic artists.
How specifically will the Clay Center achieve these goals?
- Develop an Exhibitions Program to regularly show quality contemporary ceramic artwork from New Orleans and from other parts of the country.
- Create a community-oriented facility that incorporates exhibition spaces, classrooms and individual studio spaces, along with a sales gallery, a ceramic supply shop and a kiln area with both electric and atmospheric kilns.
- Develop a Community Education Program that will offer community-oriented classes and workshops taught by nationally recognized ceramic artists.
- Provide professional opportunities, such as internships and employment, for ceramic
artists of various levels.
- Develop a Community Outreach Program to bring ceramic art education to those who might lack the financial or physical means to learn at the Center.
- Bring new ceramic talent to New Orleans through a Resident Artists Program.